Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Psyllium + L-Carnitine


Between me and my hubby, it is he who is conscious of what to eat and what not to eat.  It sometimes is hard to choose what to eat when we are out since he doesn't want to eat pork or sweets.  He is also choosy when it comes to food -- he doesn't eat mussels, oysters, beef dinuguan, and the list goes on.

Hubby is also addicted to working out! While I couldn't carry a dumbbell or run 100 meters, he, on the other hand, works out thrice a week and runs when there is a chance!  Talk about being a health buff, huh?

Through our good friend LA, he discovered this --

My sister bought a lot from Costco for our parents and my hubby!  Thanks, DM! You can also purchase from Amazon, it is 50% cheaper than here in MNL.

Hubby has been taking two glasses of this alleged "goodness" twice a day and he even makes it a point to pack some if we are going on a trip.  Metamucil claims of several benefits.  Their website boasts --

"While most fiber supplements only help to promote regularity, 
Metamucil® does more. It's the only leading fiber supplement brand made 
with 100% natural psyllium fiber that's clinically proven, 
and recognized by the FDA, to help lower cholesterol.*

Good for your heart, good for your digestive system —
good for your healthy lifestyle." 

When I feel I am bloated, I take Metamucil and it does what it should. The problem is, I feel I am choking because of the consistency of the mixture -- it gets thick when not consumed immediately.  While I believe that it is beneficial for my digestive system, I first need to like it and convince myself that it is good for me!

 And don't tell him I tell you about this --


He asked me to buy him two bottles of L-Carnitine when I was in the U.S.  I got his from Vitamin World but I think the one from here is cheaper.

While I am against supplements, I cannot do anything because even if I don't buy it there, he will get it locally anyway.


The label claims --


Hubby said it is safe.  I did my research and I have read from this site that --

"The health benefits of L-carnitine are far more than its potential risks 
on your over all wellness. It is safe and remains as such, 
as long as you take it in prescribed dosages."

I am not convinced.  Not yet!  I really hope it is safe and will not harm his liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment