Monday, September 26, 2011

First Communion


I grew up a Catholic and I was sent to a Catholic School until college, and even up to my post graduate studies!

When I was in Grade Two, I had my First Communion.  But prior to that, days, or even weeks, were spent on "practices".  "Practices" meaning that of gathering all the Grade Two students and having them pretend-play that they are in a mass and they would be receiving their communion for the first time.

We would then form lines in the order we were seated and we would practice how to open our mouth and receive the host.  We did that repeatedly until everything's perfect.

For those "practices", we used Haw Flakes.

Fast forward, my hubby and I spotted this and he couldn't resist from buying.  He was like a little kid wanting his candies!




While my hubby is enjoying his Haw Flakes, I am reminiscing the memories that goes with eating these treats that traces back to more than two decades ago.

And I do remember my then best friend RMP -- the exchange of stationery, stickers, food, and even shoes!

Oh, I love being in Grade School.  No stress and no obligations, and life is more simpler with no e-mails and text messages but landline phone conversations, handwritten notes and cards, and snail mails!


Edit:  I was surprise to see that this goodness is also being sold at Amazon!

4 comments:

  1. hehehehe. lagi din akong bumibili ng ganyan pag nakakakita ako niyan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! There were fake brands diba? Haw Flakes became the common noun rather than a proper noun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nakalimutan ko na nga na Haw Flakes pala ang tawag diyan. ang alam ko lang eh ostiya! hahahha

    ReplyDelete